Tuesday 25 March 2014

Sweet Soup!

Due to their sweet tooth (probably inherited from me) both my boys were not overly enamoured with veg purées at the start of weaning hence the quick move to finger foods and self feeding. Soup was always the best way to get the veggies in. They both like it served with chunky bread or pitta. They are also known for dipping the occasional rice cake into their soup. I tried out a new soup this morning. I am usually a recipe follower but this is one I can lay claim to as my own concoction! It is deliciously sweet and creamy but easily made dairy free by using almond milk. Both my boys gobbled it up and I had thirds seconds. Enjoy ;)



Parsnip, Leek and Apple Soup

500g Parsnips
1 onion
1 large leek
1 apple
1 tbsp olive oil
500-700g vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
Sprinkling of thyme (fresh preferably, dried will do)
Pepper
60ml milk/almond milk

  1. Prepare the vegetables – Parsnips peeled and chunked, Onion peeled and diced, Leek washed, trimmed and sliced, Apple peeled, cored and diced.
  2. Sauté the onion and leek in a tablespoon of olive oil until soft, stirring regularly to avoid browning.
  3. Add the parsnips, apple, vegetable stock, thyme, pepper and bay leaf.
  4. Bring to the boil then turn down the heat to simmer. Leave for 15 mins or until the parsnips are soft.
  5. Remove from the heat. Add the milk and purée.
  6. If you want to be a fancy pants you could add some of the lighter sliced leeks as a garnish!
  7. Serve with some crispy wholemeal bread. Delicious! 
(Adults could add salt and pepper to theirs according to tastes) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments . . .